Can you believe it’s June already? I simply cannot! You can find some of my past movie critiques and praise under the Reviews tab above.
I wrote a few movie reviews back in January where I mentioned a few upcoming films I was excited to see. Here’s what I thought of some of those films, plus a few more I’ve recently seen.
Reviews of Movies I wanted to see from 2016:
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – watched this one coming home on the plane from Costa Rica. Weird, fun, creepy. Enjoyable!
- The Accountant – watched this one on demand with some friends. A bit strange, lots of violence. Odd pairing of characters.
- Passengers – Awesome space romance with a little geekiness and action thrown in.
- Hidden Figures – Amazing real-life story! Must-see!
Reviews of Recent Movies:
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage – All action, all stunts, all ridiculous…but fun.
- Logan – I am a sucker for the X-Men franchise, and this film does not disappoint. We get a good dose of Wolverine plus a few other favourites and some new mutant faces along the way. Great story, great acting (for a comic-based film), and great action.
- Beauty and the Beast – This was the ultimate girl’s night movie where 19 of us gathered at one of the recliner-filled theatres and enjoyed every silly, singing, nostalgic moment.
- Life – I’m not usually into scary or horror but this movie only danced on the edge of that fine line. The cast and the sci-fi plot was enough to get me in the theatre and the creepy creature was just scary enough to not give me nightmares. (well not too many)
- Ghost in the Shell – I didn’t mind this darker, comic-based movie about an undercover operative inside a bio-mechanical body. A few twists that I predicted but overall some good action and ideas.
- The Fate of the Furious – Cars. Outrageous stunts. A submarine. Lame villain. Plot holes. But the Rock, Jason & Vinn. That’s about it.
- The Circle – Really interesting flick about a tech company similar to some of the big ones out there and what could possibly go horribly wrong when they cross too many lines. A cautionary tale for our day and age.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – Best. Movie. I’ve seen in a long time! Witty! Action-packed! Awesome aliens! Funny moments! Easter Eggs! Great plot! Baby Groot!
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – Akin to it’s British thug predecessors, Lock Stock & Snatch, this movie has all the fast-talking, fist punching, bad boy fun mixed with ancient medieval legends and a dash of magic. The war scenes were a little too “LOTR” for me, but it came together well in the end. PS – Jude Law’s looking ooooold!
- Baywatch – Abs, swimsuits, sand, surf, silliness…need I say more? No, really, Baywatch is a funny romp that was less raunchy than I thought it would be. (minus the corpse bit!)
- Wonder Woman – WONderful! Seriously! As I’ve said before, I’m not a huge fan of superhero movies, but this film surpasses all meager comic book hero sagas I’ve seen! Good plot, good set up, good acting, great funny moments, good supporting cast! Hopefully this bodes well for the upcoming Justice League movie. Fingers crossed!
Movies I still want to see:
- Queen of Katwe – for the story.
- Deepwater Horizon – for the realism.
- Hacksaw Ridge – for the heart.
- Gifted – for the sweetness.
- Dunkirk – for the history and the battle.
- The Mummy (the new one, with Tom Cruise) – for the jumpiness.
- Valerian and the city of a thousand Planets. – for the geek in me.
- The Dark Tower – for the mind-bending weirdness.
- Rough Night – for the laughs.
- Baby Driver – for the actors and the action.
- Atomic Blonde – for the awesome fight scenes and wicked music.
- Justice League – for amazing-ness of heroes.
- Thor: Ragnarok – for the fun of it. And Chris Hemsworth. And Jeff Goldbloom.
- Blade Runner: 2049 – for the sci-fi.
- Murder on the Orient Express – for the cast and the mystery.
- Star Wars: the Last Jedi – for everything!
What movies have YOU enjoyed so far this year and what are YOU looking forward to seeing?
Leave a comment and I will be shower you with long-distance affection! 🙂