Happy New Year! One of the best things about the colder weather is snuggling up with a blanket and watching a movie. Yes, you can do that all throughout the year but when it’s gloomy and raining it’s one of the best things to do!
Here are some quick reviews of movies I’ve seen over the past few months and a list of some I can’t wait to see. You can find some of my other past movie opinions under the Reviews tab above.
I wrote a few movie reviews back in June 2017 where I mentioned a few upcoming films I was excited to see. Here’s what I thought of some of those films, plus a few more I’ve recently seen.
Reviews of Movies I wanted to see from 2017:
- Gifted – super sweet and heart-warming!
- Dunkirk – amazing visuals, music, pay attention to the timing.
- Valerian and the city of a thousand Planets. – totally silly, but fun.
- Baby Driver – loved the actors, the driving, the music is awesome!
- Atomic Blonde – I guessed it, loved the awesome fight scenes and wicked music.
- Justice League – not a bad comic movie, but predictable, Wonder Woman was better, but Aquaman was very nice to look at.
- Thor: Ragnarok – SO FUN! I’ve watched it many more times! Loved Chris Hemsworth. And Jeff Goldbloom. And Hulk!
- Star Wars: the Last Jedi – great next episode of the Star Wars plot. Loved the colours, the drama, the tension between good and evil.
Recent Movies I LOVED:
- Ready Player One – Loved it! The book is better, of course, but it was exciting to see the VR world of the Oasis and a lot of fun retro pop culture references on-screen.
- Deadpool 2 – Loved it! Fun, witty, lots of action, love Ryan Reynolds!
- Game Night – Loved it! Crazy, kooky, twists and turns. Love Jason Bateman.
- Crazy Rich Asians – Loved it! This is a favourite I will watch multiple times. It’s a rom-com with heart and twists. Love the best friend and the kooky side characters.
- A Quiet Place – Loved it! Loved the actors, the writing, the premise, the jumpiness of it all. Very cool idea and ending!
- The Rider – Loved it! Quiet, real, heartfelt story based on real people. Slice of life.
- Black Panther – Loved it. Another movie I could watch over again. Great story, costumes, acting, action and twists.
- Get Out – Liked it. Since it won some awards last year I’ve been meaning to watch it. Very interesting if slow to get going. Creepy and twisted!
- The Hollars – Loved it! Slice of life, real people, loved the actors and script.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Loved it! Another great war story from a different perspective. Great acting, storytelling, and writing.
- Mary, Queen of Scots – Loved it. Great period piece about a story we seldom hear about but know her by name. Very good acting, great portrayal of a later Queen Elizabeth by Margo Robbie. Hated that the Scottish brother had a man bun and headband throughout most of the movie.
- First Man – Loved it! Everyone should see this! Real slice of life, heartache, triumph, realistic portrayal of what it was like for the first astronauts. Great movie!
Recent Movies I LIKED:
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – Liked it a lot. Great to see the worlds of SW and familiar faces. A few plot points were sticky but overall a fun movie.
- Blockers – Just Ok. Funny but not a must-see.
- Avengers: Infinity War – Liked it. Predictable, but fun. Loads of action and it was great to see all our favourite heroes all together and interacting. Starlord and Thor = priceless!
- Annihilation – Liked it. Creepy, jumpy, suspenseful and left me unsettled.
- Ant-Man and The Wasp – Liked it. I hadn’t seen the first Antman movie but didn’t need to. Good action and plot. Fun effects and funny script.
- Incredibles 2 – Liked it. Fun animated film but not really memorable.
- Mission: Impossible – Fallout – Liked it. One of the best action movies I’ve seen. Tom Cruise really pushed the limits actually showing himself doing his own stunts.
- The Ottoman Lieutenant – Liked it. Great acting. I love a good war movie and this was a story I hadn’t heard told before.
- Wind River – Liked it. I love a good true crime story. Love Jeremy Renner.
- Assassin’s Creed – Liked it. Good action, interesting premise. I haven’t played the video game but it made an ok action movie.
- Set It Up – Liked it. Rom-com for busy professionals. Fun, funny, sweet moments.
- The Titan – Liked it. A great futuristic sci-fi movie that’s not too far from where we could be soon. Good acting, interesting twists. Love Sam Worthington.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies – Liked it. I love a good Jane Austen story and this was a really fun twist.
- Tomb Raider – Liked it. Nice reboot. Love Alicia Vikander. Lots of good action and mystery, nice set up for future stories.
- Dog Days – Liked it. Cute dogs = good. Cute men = good. Silly rom-com = ok. Fluff of a movie that I’ve already forgotten about.
Sicario: Day of the Soldado – Liked it. The first in this franchise was excellent. This second story takes a side road and tried to use the gimic of “let’s add a kid to make it good”. Good story. Some brutal violence.
- Ocean’s 8 – Liked it. Fun, lots of good acting, ridiculous twists (that I predicted) and action. Fun to see all those women together in one film.
- Mary Poppins Returns – Liked it. I wasn’t a big lover of the original but this sequel story was well done. Fun, imaginative, light, good acting. However too much of Lin Manuel Miranda. He just happens to be around for every song?
- Smallfoot – Liked it. Fun animated film. Cute, new premise, good characters, didn’t realize it would be a musical, but the songs were decent.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald – Liked it. Always love diving into the Potterverse world. Good story, if not a little scattered. Light on plot, actions just moved the characters from place to place. Fun creatures.
- A Simple Favour – Liked it. Great twisty story, good acting. Funny thriller?
Recent Movies that were Just OK or I did not like:
- The Kissing Booth – Just OK. Silly rom-com. Fun but forgettable.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before – Liked it. Another silly rom-com, but cute and fun. Ridiculous situations, of course.
- Red Sparrow – Just OK. Slower than I thought it would be. More training and intrigue than action. Some brutal moments and concepts.
- Skyscraper – Just OK. Good action. The Rock. That’s about it.
- Peppermint – Just OK. Lots of action, violence. ok story. Love Jennifer Garner back into her Alias shoes.
- Tag – Stupid. A few laughs at lame humour. Don’t see it.
- The Mummy (the new one, with Tom Cruise) – Just OK. Creepy but an ok fluff action thriller.
- Colette – Didn’t like it. Poor story, poor acting, weird choices. Uncomfortable moments.
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Just OK. I like the JP movies and this one was alright. Interesting action and new dinos. Love Chris Pratt.
- A Star is Born – Just OK. Only 3/4 Liked it. I did not know the original story. Liked it until the cop-out ending. People shouldn’t write about that subject unless they’ve gone through it in their own family. Too glorified.
- Mortal Engines – Just OK. I wish I’d liked this more. It was a great idea but turned out just ok for story, plot, action, characters. Some poor acting from the main female lead. Loved the supporting male character and actor.
- The Favourite – Hated it. I wish I liked it. Julia Coleman was the only good part. Weird style, bad camera angles, random scenes that made no sense. Strange writing and plot with foreshadowing that leads nowhere. Some uncomfortable moments for sure.
Movies I still want to see:
- Queen of Katwe – for the story.
- Deepwater Horizon – for the realism.
- Hacksaw Ridge – for the heart.
- The Dark Tower – for the mind-bending weirdness.
- Blade Runner: 2049 – for the sci-fi.
- Murder on the Orient Express – for the cast and the mystery.
- Aquaman – for the fantasy and Jason Momoa
- Venom – for the comic action and Tom Hardy
- The Girl in the Spider’s Web – for the crazy crime stories and action
- Mile 22 – for the action
- Robin Hood – for the fantasy and action…and silliness
- BlacKkKlansmen – for the story
Movies I’m excited to see:
- Alita: Battle Angel – for the awesome effects
- Captain Marvel – Female superhero!
- Dumbo – for the fantasy
- Avengers: Endgame – for the conclusion
- Aladdin – Live remake! Can’t wait!
- Dark Phoenix – X-Men movie!
- The Lion King – Sort of live remake? Looks good.
- Downton Abbey movie – Yes!
- Star Wars: Episode IX – YES!
What movies have YOU enjoyed this past year and what are YOU looking forward to seeing?
Leave a comment and I will be shower you with long-distance affection! 🙂